"Umbrella dial" by
by H. Sonderegger,
Last Update: 2017/09/29
The new version 3.5 runs on all new(er) Windows systems such as
XP, Vista and Windows 7. (64-bit-systems too). Additionally to
earlier versions it calculates and constructs more altitude dials and cylinder dials. The help files are changed to chm-format which is preferred and supported by the newer Windows systems. It's language is German or
English. The language can be selected in the help-menu. In many cases
a click on the right mouse-button shows a popup-menu in the same
language. A Photo Gallery in the start window shows the different
sundial types which are calculated by SONNE.
The calculations are done for any reference year between
1300 and 2500 and for all latitudes and longitudes.
For Output all constructions are displayed on screen or can be printed on
any printer installed in Windows or saved as HPGL-files
(*.plt) or dxf-files (for AutoCad, DeltaCAD,...).
The program computes
* the time of sunset and sunrise, moonset and moonrise and
twilight (civil, nautical or astronomical)
* with time as input the position of the sun (azimuth and
* with azimuth as input the time of this sunposition
* the Equation of Time (EoT).
* tables of the declination of the sun or of EoT for any
reference year (between 1300 - 2500).
It is possible to printout all results and to save the tables as text files.
The program constructs for the given geographical position
(longitude and latitude)
* horizontal sundials
* vertical, inclining and reclining sundials (for any
* cylinder sundials (shepherd's dials, azimuthal cylinder dials, cylinder dials
with polar style )
* quadrant sundials (different types, also Gunter's Quadrant)
and 2 altitude sundials by Habermel
* azimuthal sundials (azimuthal spider dial, stereographic dial,
* "umbrella dials" (specific type of
* horizontal altitude sundials ("Basho
* (simple) ring sundials (farmers rings)
* compressed sundials by F. Sawyer (...
* mean time sundial by H. Hollander (...
* graph of equation of time for years from 1300 to 2500
* graph of th sun's altitude and azimuth for years from 1300 to
2500, now also with horizon profiles ...
new in vers. 3.6b ! (...
* overlay of coast lines in horizontal, vertical, inclined and compressed sundials (in 'Expert Mode' only).
Type of lines computed:
* hour lines for local time (mean and apparent) ,
* time of zone meridian ,
* temporal hours
In all types the time of start and end and the time interval can be
In horizontal / vertical / inclining sundials, in "umbrella
dials" and some types of cylinder dials it is possible to show additionally
* Babylonian hours
* Italian hours
* Lines for the sun's altitude
* a table with the angles of the hour-lines for true solar time
Since version 2.0 the user also can fix start time, end time and
interval of these lines.
In horizontal / vertical / inclining sundials and in umbrella
sundials it is also possible to printout the coordinates of the
constructions. Instead of sending the coordinates to the printer you
also can send all data to an ASCII-text-file.